Friday, June 8, 2007

With Tired Eyes, Tired Minds, Tired Souls, We Slept

I arrived back home this afternoon, about 2:30 after a short drive up from Russ's place in Southern Oregon. It was a bit odd driving familiar roads for a change, I had gotten used to seeing new places pretty much every mile I rolled. The house is still standing and the yard actually looks better than when I maintain it so I think I'll keep Brad on the payroll.
This turned out to be an epic trip, much more than I could have ever hoped for. I didn't really have a plan going in, just a basic list of places I wanted to visit and sort of let the timeline and route fall out as I drove. It was great seeing some spots again and others that were new to me. As much as I was able to see there's still so much that I want to go back and do. Next time I'm in Zion I am hiking to Angel's Landing :) The best parts of the trip were I think some of the spots that I least expected, some very good surprises along the way :)
The TT was fantastic the entire way. It ate a MAF in Vermont but I had a spare and that was an easy swap in a parking lot, it was running fine with the dead one anyway. Many many bugs died (and a snake). It's a bit battered and bruised with a second crack in the windshield, a cracked lower front bumper and scuff marks from a tire impact and a door ding. It was great to be able to cruise at speed comfortably and then run mountain passes at speed or some intense twisties like the Dragon without ever having to think twice. Tomorrow the cleanup begins.
I can't wait to hit the road again, which is good because I've got another couple thousand miles next week for TT-West and my remaining vacation time :)

Some final stats:
36 days on the road
12,296 miles covered
28 states visited
21 hotels
~3500 pictures
410 gallons of gas consumed at $1400
~200 driving hours
Highest altitude: ~9900ft
Highest speed: 150mph :)

Final pics

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! Looks like you have some work to do on that car. Thanks for taking us along for the ride. We've enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

Hey little bro
Love the pictures...glad to see you made it home in one piece.