Sunday, March 23, 2014

034 rear brake kit installed


Updated: Please read first!

This was a pretty easy install and 034's directions are good so I didn't do a complete writeup. It's a really nice kit too. The bracket is way nicer than similar kits I've used in the past. It's a large hardened steel piece and they use high quality ARP bolts with it.

We did have to chase the threads on the one bracket in order to thread the bolts in, I think the zinc coating was probably a bit thick. Also, I could not use the middle hangers for the e-brake line, there just wasn't enough slack. I was able to get it back into the trailing arm bracket though so I don't think there is any risk of it rubbing. I may try to lengthen the e-brake cable at some point if I've got the center console apart for some reason.

The bolt that holds the upper toe link to the hub assembly needs to be flipped around so that the bolt head is forward for clearance with the bracket. This bolt is under a lot of tension and I was not able to find a happy place with the suspension under any sort of load so be careful not to damage the threads while backing it out and putting it back in. I used a fair amount of PB Blaster to help it slide through. You can see it at the top here, I think it was 21mm. All of the caliper bracket bolts get torqued to the stock specs which I believe is 66 ft lb.



The rotors themselves are really nice and while not quite the same as the fronts in terms of hat and drill pattern they are much better than the stock rotors and the extra inch looks better behind the wheels.
As a bonus, the new rotors are lighter than stock. The C5 RS6 part is 13.6 lb and the stock rotor (worn all the way down) was 16 lbs. Figure the bracket ways a few ounces too so a total saving of 2 lbs, not too bad!







And a comparison of the new rears with the stock fronts.



No comments: