Sunday, May 26, 2013

sabbatical redux

6 years ago I took an extended road trip that went from Portland, OR to Portland, ME and eventually made my way to the national parks of the southwest. This week Danielle and I set off to revisit some of these same locations, well revisit for me but all new to her. We started with a long first day from Portland to Provo, about 12 hours and 800+ miles. This is the first long trip in the RS too and I have to say it's a fantastic cruiser, even better than the mk1. I wouldn't say I felt ready to keep driving when we reached Provo but I felt much less fatigued than on other trips.
Getting to the hotel in Provo was rather interesting too. I had checked the location on Google prior to leaving and noted that it was at exit 265. Well after getting off the freeway at that exit there were no hotels to be found. Checking Google again, yay iPhones,we realized it was on highway 265 which was really exit 269. Really just dumb luck that we landed that close to it at all! Then, once we found the hotel there was the matter of actually getting in the parking lot. We eventually checked in and crashed around midnight local time.
The other thing we had issues with was the gopro. I had planned to have it setup on the windshield taking pictures every 30 seconds so that I could make time lapse videos of the entire drive. Unfortunately, it kept overheating and discharging the battey so that didn't work out so well. We did manage to get most of the first day though.
Provo is really our only long haul travel day so it should be more interesting from here.

No comments: