Thursday, May 24, 2007

Back in the west


The last few days have gotten me from North Carolina to Roswell, NM. In between I spent a few days visiting a friend in Oklahoma. The drive after the Dragon was much much more boring. There are a few interesting sights in Arkansas but IMO it should be avoided at all costs.
Oklahoma was mostly what I expected it to be until Danielle took me out to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. Beautiful scenery, twisty roads, mountains, lakes, all sorts of wildlife. We had a great time touring the area starting at Mt Scott, grabbing awesome burgers at Meers (vanilla RC!), hiking around the lakes and visiting the hidden gem of the entire park, the Holy City. Some of the wildlife cooperated with the pics, the prairie dogs and geese all seemed to like the cameras (and the TTs), the buffalo however didn't seem to like us, or me anyway. We didn't hang around the rattlesnake long enough to find out what he thought. We wrapped up the day with sodas and fried peaches back at Meers. It was only a couple day visit but Danielle and her family (even the dogs) all made me feel so welcome that it seemed like I stop by to visit all the time.
This morning I rolled out of Oklahoma and experienced some driving that made the Dragon look like an easy commute, a half hour driving through a Texoma storm system will get your pulse up a bit. After clearing the weather I headed west on 380 from Decatur all the way to Roswell passing through a bunch of tiny Texas towns. Tomorrow I'll be at the UFO museum and then off to Carlsbad Caverns in southern NM.


Pics from Oklahoma

Trip Stats:
8451 miles
24 states
273 gallons of gas

2 comments:

John Zuberbuehler said...

Hi John -- looks like you are having fun! Look me up when you get back to town.

Danielle said...

*snicker*... no one gets a buffalo to pose pretty for the camera like you. :)