Saturday, May 6, 2023

Speeding 72, We're faster getting nowhere

Today’s title is a bit more accurate with the lower speed limits on the state highways I had the cruise set at 72 for most of the day. A few brief excursions to redacted mph to pass slower traffic although there really wasn’t too much of that to deal with.

The day started very chilly in Beaver, 33° when I started the car and dropping to 28° as I motored down Hwy20. The rainstorm I drove through yesterday evening left a fresh dusting of snow across the landscape but thankfully the roads were clear and dry. Once I turned south on Hwy89 the skies cleared, temps came up to a more reasonable mid-40s and the views continued to improve the further south I got. 89 runs between Bryce and Zion so I was able to catch some glimpses of the “outside” edge of the Zion canyons, a teaser for next week. 

Eventually 89 turns east and runs along the Utah/Arizona border before finally crossing just north of Page. My first stop of the day was just south of Page, at the Horseshoe Bend overlook. My first time touring this area in 2007 I ran into a hiker in Capitol Reef that suggested I stop here as I was going to be in the area to see Antelope Canyon. It seems far more popular now, a proper visitor center and parking lot. Lots more people now too but there’s plenty of room along the length of the rim to get good pictures. I didn’t spend too much time here as I was eager to get back on the road.

Stop number two, after a quick refuel in Cameron, was the south rim of the Grand Canyon. The last time I was here in 2013 we stopped at the north rim but it seemed like the south rim had more spots to stop. It was also more on the way, sort of. It was also much less crowded than I expected so I stopped at several of the view points which get you slightly different views into the canyon as you head further west.

Eventually Hwy64 turned back south and it was a short drive to I-40 for the final leg into Winslow. It doesn’t seem like I’ve only been on the road for three days. The change in weather and scenery break the days into their own segments with something new around every bend. Except for I-40. I think that looks the same all the way across Texas.

Stats for the day:

460 miles
59 mph
28 mpg, much better than I expected with all of the climbing
7:48 total drive time

























1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those dangling feet shots are giving mom more greys. Lol.